A General Question

      Naturally I don’t always take on every challenge that presents itself to me.  Some are questions of hindsight not insight.  And others are questions that are really better left unanswered.  Nonetheless, I save them all for a time just like this to demonstrate the art of the obvious.
      Take for instance, this email I received from a general who was the dictator of a country that shall remain nameless for our purposes.  This general wanted to prevent any possible future coup by the sons of the officers in the army.  That the general’s own son was to remain safe was obvious.  Was there any way, the general asked, for me to apply my unique skills to solve the problem? 
      There was of course and it was a very simple way. 
      Naturally I never actually responded, but if I had I would simply have suggested that the general pass a law that any boy whose father was in the military was to be shot on the spot. 
      It was the perfect solution.
      But do you know why?


Nano Solution_____________________________________________

      “Because dictators can do whatever they want, like change the law to suit themselves,” you suggest.
      “Very wise, answer, my friend,” Nano says, “but my suggestion did not need to be changed.”
      “But any boy whose father was in the military would be shot.  And the general too was in the military.”
      “True...but the general was a woman!”

No comments:

Post a Comment