Chained Dog


      After two months of effort, I finally tracked the Crimson Bauble, a huge ruby, to the home of one Manford Patina.  I knew he was keeping the gem somewhere in his backyard but it wasn’t until he was away on a trip that I had a chance to see what I was up against.
      Studying the situation, I soon became convinced that the gem was hidden inside a small doghouse.  That was simple enough.  But ten feet to the right of this doghouse there was a tree.  A vicious Doberman was attached to the tree by a twelve-foot chain.
      The dog was well trained and when I told my technician to walk around the yard, we found out two things.  First, that he could walk completely around that yard just beyond the dog’s reach.  And second, that the snarling dog followed his every step like a real predator.  That’s what he was trained to do.  There simply was no way to get near the doghouse.
      But then I let my insight handle the problem and was able to devise a method that allowed my technician to get to the doghouse without harming, or even touching for that matter, the dog in any way.
      What was it?


Nano Solution_____________________________________________

      “Did you try distracting it with a female in heat?” you ask, thinking that you’ve got him this time.
      “Not a bad idea,” Nano says, almost wallowing in his own sarcasm.  “ A terrible one!”
      “Oh.”   
      “What I did was tell my technician to keep walking around and around the yard just out of reach of the dog.  As he did so, the dog eventually wrapped the chain completely around the base of the tree until the chain was shorter than the ten foot distance to the doghouse!”

No comments:

Post a Comment