A Cold Case

      Determined as I am to prove that a brain is more than a lump of beef that can make lists, I offer you the following little challenge.  This episode took place in a ski lodge where my technician and I were on vacation.  Well, he was the one vacating...skiing and bathing in the hot springs.  I was there gathering data for my studies of dumb behavior.
      It was pure luck on my part that a murder broke the serenity.
      It seems that Nils Dortmun, an alpiner loved and respected by everyone, was found dead in one of the ski shacks.  It was an empty shack with nothing in it at all.  Just Dortmun’s body lying there on the ground with a puncture wound and blood all over.  There was nothing else there but a small puddle of water.
      No weapon, no clues, no marks.  And no motive on the part of anyone.  On top of all that, the shack had been locked from the inside.
      The local police had no idea who had killed him or the method of his murder.  Naturally I was able to help out because in studying the scene I immediately knew the weapon, the method, and the whodunnit.
      Do you know how he was killed?


Nano Solution_____________________________________________

      You take a deep breath, straighten your shoulders, and plunge into your theory, with all the hope of one who might very well drown in the pool of stupidity.  “Did he kill himself by stabbing himself with an icicle which later melted into the pool of water near the body?” you say with all the gumption you can muster.
      “Well I’ll be,” Nano says softly.  “We might turn you into a master of the obvious yet!”


No comments:

Post a Comment