A Breath of Air



      It never fails to amaze me how the moment I become known as an expert problem-solver, solvable problems seem to present themselves all the time.  Wherever I am, such riddles just pop up.  Like the time I was at a rather posh spa here in the city, trying desperately to escape all pressures and impingements.  Even virtual persons like myself need a break.  But naturally, this was not to be. 
      Just as I was floating poolside and relaxing, I heard a splash and there was a great commotion in the water.  By the time I redirected my attention, I could see that one of the guests was in the process of rescuing another man from the pool.  He quickly pulled this limp fellow from the water, threw him down onto the tiled floor, and immediately began frantic CPR. 
      In the scuttlebutt that emerged among the onlookers, it became clear the heroic effort being performed was all the more dramatic since the two men were business rivals.  I watched along with the others as the one man pinched the other’s nose, pressed his mouth against the victim’s lips, and pushed repeatedly on his chest for almost ten minutes.  Alas it was all to no avail.                                     
      By the time he stopped, gazing serenely and sadly at his late associate, he knew as we all did that it was too late. 
      But not too late for me to have my final word on the matter.
      What do you think I said?


Nano Solution_____________________________________________

      “Anyone for a swim?”
      “I said arrest that man for murder.  Far from performing CPR to save his rival, he had suffocated him by pinching his nose closed and only pretending to breathe into his chest.  The two actions look the same, except that after such heavy breathing, our hero ought to have been out of breath himself!”

No comments:

Post a Comment