The Fireplace Case

      Well this one really wasn’t a case at all, but I was so proud of my insight that I keep it with my finest solutions.             
      You see, a friend of mine who installs fireplaces came to me once with a problem.  Now you might not associate fireplaces with the art of the obvious but that is the beauty of this field of endeavor...everything applies.
      The problem in question was that he had a series of bad business ventures in which he installed the fireplaces for customers who then
refused to pay for all his work.  And when they did, all his effort went up in smoke, so to say.  What my friend wanted was some method for making the fireplaces unusable until the checks cleared. 
      That sounds like a simple enough request but of course you cannot exactly lock up a fireplace.
      Nonetheless, I was able to devise a very simple method by which he could complete his work but render the fireplace totally unusable until he decided to “unlock it.” 
      I’ll give you a hint...the method I came up with involved the use of a single brick.
      What did I suggest to him?


Nano Solution_____________________________________________

      “This one’s easy,” you say with the confidence of the befuddled.  “He threatens to beat his customer with a brick until he coughs up the dough.”
      “That might have worked but I found a much safer solution.  I simply told him to install a sheet of glass halfway up the flue, which would block the air and prevent an updraft.  No updraft, no fire.  When the check cleared, he could simply drop a brick down the chimney...and open the fireplace up!”

No comments:

Post a Comment